Saturday, March 8, 2008

Today is Women's Day


March 8th, 2008 marks the International Women's Day festivities around the world. It started in Russia and was celebrated mostly across the Soviet bloc. Now it is celebrated across the globe. A day to thank your mothers, your sisters, your daughters and wives. My mother grew up in a household that would celebrate March 8th as if it was Christmas. Relatives would gather at her house, drink, eat and dance the night away. They would share personal stories of struggles and how they overcame each obstacle.

Today I woke up to find my father giving my mother a kiss and warm embrace. He said to her, "Thank you for being the woman you are today."

Today is a day of historic signifance. A day to show the progress that we have achieved, and the amount of obstacles we yet have to overcome. It is in a way discouraging that in the United States we do not celebrate this day accordingly. To many Americans, it is simply another day. Unfortunately, some are not even aware of today's significance, which saddens me truly.

I am not one of those individuals that has forgotten what my ancestors went through in order for me to have the many opportunities I have today. Love them for who they are--not what they look like. Privilege Indifference had written an article that notes how women, these days, are trying to change who they are, what they look like just to fit in. It is essential that women on this day, come together and praise each other's beauties rather than degrade one another just because one is considered by society to be prettier. Respect and love one another. So I am taking this day to reiterate my appreciation for my mother, my grandmothers, my aunts, and my sister for being as powerful and beautiful they are.

I hope you did the same.

No comments: